News
Prime Minister: Bulgaria has a month to decide how to proceed after US sanctions on Lukoil
Thursday 23 October 2025 10:57
Thursday, 23 October 2025, 10:57
PHOTO BGNES
Font size
Bulgaria has until 21 November to decide how to proceed with the Lukoil Neftochim refinery, Prime Minister Rosen Zhelyazkov said on Thursday ahead of a meeting of EU leaders in Brussels.
He was apparently referring to the end of a US Treasury “wind-down” period under the latest sanctions on Russian energy majors Lukoil and Rosneft, announced earlier this week. The measures, which include asset freezes and transaction bans, come fully into force on 21 November 2025 after a short transition phase allowing companies to complete existing deals.
Zhelyazkov said the US restrictions would not affect domestic fuel production or supply, as the Burgas refinery no longer processes Russian crude. However, he acknowledged that Lukoil’s Russian ownership could create difficulties with financial transactions and access to the SWIFT system, the network used for international payments, once the sanctions take effect.
Asked about the risk of the refinery being targeted by arson attacks – as has happened at energy sites in Romania, Hungary and Slovakia – the prime minister said the authorities had taken all necessary precautions against possible sabotage, according to BNR’s Brussels correspondent Angelina Piskova.
“The issue with Lukoil is serious and very delicate,” said GERB leader Boyko Borissov in parliament, adding that the party was ready to take legislative action if required, BGNES reported.
Editor: Ivo Ivanov
Posted and edited in English by E. Radkova
This publication was created by: Р. Василева