News

News

Series of violations found after flood in Elenite resort

Friday, 31 October 2025, 13:50

Series of violations found after flood in Elenite resort

PHOTO BTA

Font size

An inspection has uncovered numerous violations following the recent flood in the Elenite resort complex. No records of environmental approval for the construction in Elenite were found in the archives of the Ministry of Environment and Water, Minister Manol Genov told reporters in Sozopol after the “Blue Future for the Black Sea” forum, BTA reported.
Yavor Dimitrov, director of the Black Sea Basin Directorate, said inspections began in early October 2025 after flooding in Elenite and Tsarevo. The checks cover affected areas and other coastal resorts.
“We are finding multiple problems – water bodies filled with household and construction waste, covered riverbeds, and damaged embankments,” Dimitrov said, quoted by BTA. He added that covering water bodies is only allowed when precise technical parameters are defined, which was not the case in some areas, such as near Sveti Vlas, where covered channels lack clear specifications.
Regarding Elenite, Dimitrov said the riverbed passing through the resort had been covered and buildings were later erected on top.
The flood in Elenite on 3 October 2025 caused severe damage and casualties. Four people died, including two rescuers during an evacuation operation. More than 40 cars were submerged, and many hotels and houses were left without power. Ongoing inspections have revealed dozens of violations related to construction in and around riverbeds and gullies in the area.
Editor: Diana Tsankova
Posted in English by E. Radkova 

This publication was created by: Р. Василева