News

News

Outgoing defence minister reports army staffing shortfall at 26 per cent

Tuesday, 6 January 2026, 14:10

Atanas Zapryanov

Atanas Zapryanov

PHOTO BTA

Font size

Bulgaria’s armed forces have reduced their staffing shortfall to 26% from 28% over the past year, caretaker Defence Minister Atanas Zapryanov said on Monday, while attending the traditional Epiphany blessing of the army’s battle flags.



Zapryanov said the outlook for the Bulgarian army in 2026 was positive, given last year’s progress, but warned that the ongoing political crisis and lack of a full-year budget could halt modernisation efforts.


Bulgaria’s national defence plan is with the European Commission, and the country expects its projects to be approved, caretaker Defence Minister Atanas Zapryanov said. The EU Council could propose a loan agreement worth 3.26 billion euros in February, he added.


He went on to say that the political crisis and the extended budget, which does not allow borrowing, meant elections would have to be held and a new government and parliament elected before the loans could be approved.


Editor: Miglena Ivanova
Posted in English by E. Radkova

This publication was created by: Elizabeth Radkova